Pixie 3 by Tech 4 Learning allows students the ability to create their own original art and writing projects on their computer. Easy to use drawing tools make graphic design a snap for students in all grades. Teachers will find the pre-made lessons and activities easy to find and use with students, or can let their class start with a blank canvas where the only limit is a child's imagination.
- Save all Pictures as ONE file! - At last students can save all over their artwork in ONE file instead of saving each picture separately. This makes it much easier to create stories, comic books, and movies.
- Collaborate on Pixie Projects - Students now have the ability to work together on one Pixie project
- MORE Pre Made Activities – Teachers now have even more options to get started right out of the box.
- Get Published - Students can publish their work online in the password protected k12share.com site from Tech4Learning.
- New Drawing Tools - Some of the new tools include crayon and marker. The drawing tools have been moved to the right side of the screen for more convenience.
- Interactive Full Screen Mode - Pixie 3 has a feature that optimizes the buttons and tools for use on interactive whiteboard users. There is even a "clone" feature which allows you to drag and drop copies of objects on the page. This is great for activities such as money, maps and globes, and counting.
Pixie 3 provides opportunities for teachers in Elementary and Middle Schools to support their instruction across the curriculum. Pre-made lessons and activities are available within the program and categorized by subject areas:
My Activities - where students can store their work
All About Me - activities to tell your story
Language Arts - Alphabet, Parts of Speech, Reading, and Writing
Math - Fractions, Meaurement, Money, Number Facts, Patterns, and more!
Science - Earth & Space, Health, Biology, Matter, Seasons, and Weather
Social Studies - Community, Culture, Geography, History, Maps
Holidays - Activities sortable by months
Foreign Languages - French, German, and Spanish Activities
Templates - Dozens of ready made sheets
Search for lessons and content standards correlations for Pixie Activities at the Tech 4 Learning Integration site. Maryland Standards are available from the drop down menu.
Click on any picture below to see a full size image of projects made in Pixie.
- Math Activity - Flag Fractions
- Language Arts Activity - Singular Nouns
- Digital Storytelling Activity - Where Do I Belong?
- Science Activity - Order the Planets
- Social Studies Activity - Maryland, My Maryland
- Networked computer for student access. Pixie 3 has been virtualized in all FCPS Elementary and Middle Schools and is accessible via the Application Menu in the Multimedia Folder.
- A trial verion of Pixie 3 can be downloaded at http://www.tech4learning.com/pixie. FCPS Teachers can also acquire a work at home release form and software from their school's technology coordinator.
- If you would like students to record narration on their pictures, you will need microphone headsets or desktop microphones.
Tutorials and Resources
- Watch an introductory video about Pixie 3 at the Tech 4 Learning website
- Pixie 3 "Recipe" Tutorial available from Tech 4 Learning's "Recipes4Success" website
- Pixie 3 Toolbar Quick Guide - (PDF)
- Tips for Creating Activities in Pixie 3 - (PDF)
- Collaborating in Pixie 3 - (PDF from Tech4Learning)
- Trading Post: This Tech4Learning website is a place where educators can upload their Pixie templates, activities, and lesson plans. They are there for you to download and use with your class! Sign up for free.
- Pics4Learning: Teachers and students can use the copyright-friendly image library from Pics4Learning.
- FCPS Tech4Learning Work At Home Agreement
Quick Tips ****
- Opening a folder of Pixie 2 images in Pixie 3
- Showing a Slide Show in Pixie 3
- Clone feature in Pixie 3
- Importing Pictures as Stickers
- Recording a Sound in Pixie
- Exporting Projects in Pixie 3 (Pictures, Movies and Trading Cards)
- Using the Cool Word Tool
- Converting a Drawing to a Sticker
- Activating the Interactive Whiteboard Toolbar in Pixie
- Saving Projects as Activities
- Gluing Stickers to the Background
- Create an ABC book. Give each student a different letter to stamp out with stickers or draw with the tools.
- Create a noun sort by person, place and thing.
- Sort words by consonant sound or vowel sound
- Complete a Making Words activity using the letter stickers.
- Create writing prompts for kids: Seasons, My Favorite Animal, My Hero, etc.
- Graphic Organizers: Venn Diagrams, Story Maps, KWL, etc.
- Sort words by syllables
- Type and illustrate a poem
- Create trading cards of literary figures
- Sort between real and fictional characters
- Import real pictures. Draw and label angles that you find.
- Use the coins to show different ways to make the same amount of money.
- Stamp out number sentences to illustrate them.
- Symmetry with the mirror tool.
- Expanded form
- Illustrate word problems
- Illustrate Life Cycles
- Sort by Living and Non-Living
- Illustrate the Water Cycle or the Rock Cycle
- Illustrate weather for the week
- Sort objects by sink or float
- Label parts of an insect, parts of a flower, layers of the earth, planets in the solar system, layers of the rainforest, etc.
- Food Chains and Food Webs
- Food Pyramids
- Differences between whales and fish
- Differences between the different types of rock
- Create trading cards of different rocks, minerals, or elements
- "If I were president" writing prompt
- Label a map of the US by the initials of each state
- Compare presidents or any 2 historical figures
- Add a state stamp and fill it with stamps that represent resources available from that state
- Color the regions of MD
- Sort by community helpers
- Sort by human, natural, and capital resources
- Create trading cards of historical figures or current political figures
- Create a postcard from a historical landmark or location
- Design a kite
- Design a Christmas ornament
- Paint a self-portrait
- Label a color wheel
- Create an original painting for MICCA's graphic arts contest