For Reading homework, third graders should be reading for 20 minutes, 4 times a week. For 2 of those reading sessions, parents should monitor fluency.
These are the steps for the fluency assignment:
1. Student reads the entire passage to him/herself.
2. Student reads aloud the passage to the adult/parent, who is timing them for EXACTLY one minute. During this time the parent is also keeping track of (counting up) any errors the child makes while reading, BUT does NOT try to correct the child at this time.
3. Adult/parent records on the homework calendar the number of words read in a minute and the number of errors.
4. Adult/parent NOW points out and corrects the errors made to the child.
5. Adult/parent might consider reading the passage to the child as well. This process should be repeated twice a week.