General Announcements


General Announcements Return to Main Bulletin Page

ASVAB Testing

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is the most widely used multiple-aptitude test battery in the world. As an aptitude test, the ASVAB measures your strengths, weaknesses, and potential for future success. The ASVAB also provides you with career information for various civilian and military occupations and is an indicator for success in future endeavors whether you choose to go to college, vocational school, or a military career.  The ASVAB is administered to any interested LHS students (Grades 10-12) for free during the school day at LHS once or twice a year.  If you are interested in participating, please see Ms. Ingraham in Student Services.

College Majors 101


This website is a search tool that is useful for exploring college majors and what colleges/universities offer them.  While it does encourage you to create a profile, one is not required.

Community Service

For information on FCPS community service/Student Service Learning requirements, please visit the FCPS website or contact Mr. Brown for more information.  The form for documenting service hours is available online.  Completed forms are to be returned to Mr. Brown in the Work-Based Learning office.

CTC Shadowing

Students who plan to attend classes at the Career and Technology Center (CTC) next year must shadow the program the plan to attend this year, and complete an application.  To request a shadowing visit, please visit the CTC Shadowing page.  For more information about programs offered at CTC, please visit

FAFSA Information

For the following school year, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is made available January 1st.  If you plan to attend college, you must complete the FAFSA as the first step in the financial aid process.  You will need to complete this form to apply for federal and state grants, work-study, loans, and scholarships.  Maryland residents must complete the FAFSA between January 1st and March 1st each year.  The FAFSA is available at  When listing the colleges that you want your information sent to, please remember to list one Maryland college, even if you have not applied to a school in the state and do not intend, at this point, to apply to or attend an in-state school.  If you change your mind after the financial aid deadline, or transfer to a Maryland school during your freshman year, you will not be considered for any state-based aid unless you have listed a Maryland school on the FAFSA.


High school women interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math are invited to join the FCPS WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) program. Participation is free. Meetings are monthly. The first meeting will be held October 23 from 7 - 8:15 p.m. at the Earth and Space Science Laboratory, 210 Madison Street, Frederick.

 The Financial Aid Process

What You Need to Know But Didn't Know to Ask Presentation


FT Detrick NCI Internships

The Werner H. Kirsten Student Intern Program (SIP) at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) at Frederick is designed to expose high school seniors to research and administrative management in a health care environment. The scientific interns experience the basic methods of biomedical research through “hands-on” laboratory training. The students in the Internships in Support of Science/Research are assigned projects in budget, personnel, information technology, graphics and media.  For more information, please see Ms. Radil-Harris in the Work-Based Learning Office.  To apply online, please visit

FT Detrick USAMRIID Internships

This program is a one-year program (June-May) and accepts scientific interns. Scientific internships have two components. First, scientific interns are awarded a paid fellowship during the summer prior to their senior year of high school. This fellowship requires working eight (8) mandatory consecutive 40-hour weeks for which the intern receives a stipend of approximately $2,000. Second, when the school year begins, interns are converted to a Volunteer Program and will be required to volunteer at least three hours per day and may work either mornings or afternoons. However, the preference of the intern's program mentor will be taken into consideration with regard to morning or afternoon assignments. Interns are not compensated for their service during the school year, but they do receive four credits toward their high school diploma. Interns are required to reduce their school course load to a maximum of two classes per semester.  Please see Ms. Radil-Harris in the Work-Based Learning Office for details.

Maryland Learner's Permit


If you are under 16, you must provide a completed Learner's Permit School Attendance Certification form (DL-300) (commonly referred to as the MVA form) to an MVA official during the learner's permit application process.  During the school year LHS students should turn this form in to the Attendance Office before the start of the school day, and then pick it up after school from the Attendance Office.  During Summer Break students may bring the form directly to the Student Services Office to have it completed.  REMEMBER, parents and students must complete their portion of the form before submitting it to LHS. 

NCAA Eligibility

The NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse must certify any student interested in playing Division I or Division II college sports. For more information please visit the website at

Selective Service Registration

Young men turning 18 are required to register with the Selective Service. Failure to register is punishable by fine or imprisonment. It is also a prerequisite for obtaining financial aid or government employment. You may register online at

Transcripts, Official Versus Unofficial

 An unofficial transcript can be picked up by the student, parents, or faxed. Unofficial transcripts are typically for personal use by the family for filling out paperwork, and are sometimes requested by colleges, universities, or scholarships for preliminary review.  An official transcript is embossed with the official school seal. The official transcript is sealed in an envelope to be mailed directly to the designated institution, scholarship, or employer.  Most institutions and scholarships require official transcripts to make a final decision before offering acceptance or awards.  For graduates, an official transcript serves as proof of graduation for employers in lieu of presenting your high school diploma.  Transcript request forms are available on our website at /lhs/transcript .

U.S. Service Academy Nominations 

U.S. Service Academies offer an outstanding college education for qualified applicants.  All but the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy offer a free college education.  The application for consideration for a nomination, is available at or

Minor Work Permits

Work permits are available at  Details about the law and youth employment can be found at