About Common Core State Standards:
The Common Core is a set of high-quality academic standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy (ELA). These learning goals outline what a student should know and be able to do at the end of each grade.
The standards are:
1. Research- and evidence-based
2. Clear, understandable, and consistent
3. Aligned with college and career expectations
4. Based on rigorous content and application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills
5. Built upon the strengths and lessons of current state standards
6. Informed by other top performing countries in order to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society
About PARCC assessment:
This year our students in grades 3-5 will be taking the PARCC assessment instead of the MSA in the areas of reading and math. PARCC stands for the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers. The new tests have been developed in response to the longstanding concerns of educators, parents and employers who want assessments that better measure students’ critical-thinking and problem-solving skills and their ability to communicate clearly. The higher expectations of the PARCC assessments are aligned to the Common Core State Standards. In English/ Language Arts PARCC will assess students’ abilities to read complex texts independently, write effectively to sources, and build and present knowledge through research. In Math PARCC will assess students’ ability to solve problems, reason mathematically, model real world problems, and have fluency with mathematics. These high quality, computer-based assessments deliver real-time information on student knowledge that teachers can use to help inform instruction.