The primary purpose of this 1500 hour course is to train the student in the basic manipulative skills, safety judgments, proper work habits and desirable attitudes necessary to obtain licensure and for competency in entry level positions in cosmetology, one of the most diversified, fastest growing industries in the world today.
Upon completion of the course requirements the determined graduate will be able to:
- Project a positive attitude and a sense of personal integrity and self-confidence.
- Practice effective communication skills, visual poise and proper grooming.
- Respect the need to deliver worthy service for value received in an employer – employee relationship.
- Perform basic manipulative skills in the areas of hair, skin and nails.
- Perform the basic analytical skills to determine proper make-up, hairstyle and color application for client’s overall image.
- Apply learned theory, technical information and related matter to assure sound judgments, decisions and procedures.
A comprehensive Library of references, periodicals, and books are available to support the course of study and supplement student training. Students should avail themselves of the opportunity to use these extensive materials.
Students begin the program by attending CTC for a half-day during their junior year and ALL DAY during their senior year. Students intending to enroll in cosmetology must plan their class schedule very carefully in order to complete ALL ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION, as well as spending all day in cosmetology as a senior. Twelve credits are awarded to successful completers of the 2-year program. English 12 is offered as part of the cosmetology program during the senior year.
If you are interested in Art and Science, enjoy helping others, work well independently, making decisions, and handling a crisis you should consider visiting the Cosmetology Program at CTC. See your high school guidance counselor to arrange a 1-day shadow experience in the 10 th grade during the months of November-February. You will be given an overview of the profession and the program, a hands on experience and a personal interview. We would love to help you develop your artistic and creative ability.
Many successful graduates of the cosmetology program have gone on to:
- Work in many of the salons and spas in the area
- Continued their education to obtain a barber license and/or massage therapist license
- Attend college
- Open their own business
- Hairstylist for a cruise line
- Make-up artist for the Walt Disney World characters
OR use the many transferable skills learned in cosmetology to transition into many related careers, such as:
- Massage therapist
- Make-up artist
- Cosmetic sales / retail sales
- State Board member / inspector
- Beauty editor of a magazine
- Esthetician (Skin Care Specialist)
Students are required to invest approximately $650 to cover the cost of a complete Student Kit and textbooks including the Milady textbook, Study Guide and State Board Review text. These items are all that are needed to complete the two-year program and carry into the profession. Additional costs for the program uniform and shoes are required. The Maryland NACCAS Study (National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts & Sciences) states that “Today, the growing salon industry offers a dramatically unique “zero unemployment” factor – needing many more new salon professionals than we can supply.”
“In all of the decisions I have made in my life, attending CTC’s Cosmetology program was the most life changing. Without this program I would never have been able to pull myself through college. I owe my gratitude to the school.”