The goals of the Athletic Club are to encourage healthy, active lifestyles, build confidence, create awareness of sportsmanship and strengthen athletic skills and abilities.
- The Athletic Club will focus on a new athletic activity or sport each week allowing the children to grow in many areas of strength and interest.
- All children kindergarten through 8th grade are eligible. Children will be broken up in to smaller groups for games and skill builders.
- The program will run for 6 weeks in the fall and again in the spring and will run once a week dates will be determined prior to each session.
- The Athletic Club will meet at Ballenger Creek Park (at the last pavilion) after school.
- At 45 registrants, the club will close to sign-ups for each session.
- The participant’s parents will be asked to pack an extra snack for their child(ren) on Athletic Club days and to dress their child appropriately for physical activity.
- Transportation to and from the park is the parents/caregivers responsibility.
Athletic Club Timeline Sample (times and activities are subject to change)
3:00-3:15 – Arrival, Snack & Sign-in
3:15 – Athletic Club Starts - warm-up
3:20 – Stretch, lesson (overview) on activity/sport and skill builders/drills and breakout groups
3:40 – Games/scrimmage/ interactive play
3:55-4:00 - Athletic Club concludes
The Carroll Creek Montessori Garden Club is an after school student club with 15 members and growing! We started the club in October 2015 with a desire to educate our students in a fun and interactive environment. Our driving mission is to “know our food and know our environment”, so that we can grow our knowledge and educate others in our community.
Our goal is to have a self-sustaining vegetable garden on our school grounds, so that we can plant our own vegetables and use them in the classroom for lessons. Along with learning about where our food comes from, we are also linking gardening with science, math, critical thinking and writing with hands on learning experiences.
Members are provided with garden journals, seeds, and other tools/supplies to assist with their learning. This year we incorporated the use of a microscope! Contact Colleen Porter (Colleen.Porter@fcps.org) or Analiese Kennedy (Analiese.firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Dates for the 2017/18 School Year: 10/2, 10/16, 10/30, 11/13, 11/27, 12/11, 1/8, 1/22, 2/5, 2/26, 3/12, 3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7, 5/21, 6/4
Troop 81151 is open to Carroll Creek Montessori girls in multiple grade levels (in 2017-18, grades 1-4; in 2018-19, grades 2-5; etc.). The troop meets at school periodic Mondays from 4-5:15pm (frequency depends on grade level) and also gets together for activities and trips outside of school. Girls are welcome to join the troop each August, with a limit of 25 girls total. Membership fees and dues are $50 a year plus the bi-annual cost of a vest and books (usually about $65 for each level). Occasionally trips and activities include a fee. Scholarship funds are available. Contact Molly Carlson for more information. Parents interested in starting a troop for girls in other grades may contact The Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capitol.