Awards Criteria – 2012-13
- Perfect Attendance: No days missed during the school year. A sticker will be placed on student’s final report card.
- Exemplary Attendance: No more than three (3) days missed all year. Students who have not missed more than three (3) days will be recognized with a sticker on their final report card. A stamp will be placed on student’s final report card.
- Each teacher will anonymously nominate approximately 4 students from each of his/her classes by the end of April.
- Students will be given the opportunity to nominate himself or herself or another student during an “open” nomination period in April. Parents will also be given the opportunity to nominate a student during the “open” nomination period in April.
- A list of all nominated students will be given to every staff member of Windsor Knolls. Each staff member will anonymously score the students on a scale of 1 to 4 for each pillar of Character Counts! Staff will only score those students whom they have had contact with during the school year. This includes front office visits, cafeteria coverage, bus duty, etc.
- Each student’s score will be averaged to arrive at a final score. Students receiving less than 4 score sheets will be eliminated from the poll. (Learning for Life students are excluded from this elimination process.) Final score is computed by adding all scores then dividing by the number of scores given for the student. Learning for Life students’ classroom and elective teachers will nominate and score those students.
- The students with the top 5 scores of each grade level will receive the award at the awards ceremony.
Honor Roll Awards:
- High Honor Roll for the School Year: All grades. An “All A Honor Roll” sticker is placed on report card.
- Honor Roll: A student earning a "B" average with no more than one "C" with an "A" to balance it and no "D's" or "F's" meets honor roll criteria. Inaddition, an “Honor Roll” sticker is placed on the report card. Honor roll students also attend a PTSA-sponsored event at the end of each term.
Top Achiever Award:
- Full year classes: This award will be given to any student who has earned a 96% average for the first three terms in any subject area(s). Teachers will provide a list of awardees at the end of third term. Students will be recognized during the awards ceremony in June.
- Semesterized classes (first semester): This award will be given to any student who has earned a 96% average for the class during first semester. Teachers will provide a list of awardees at the end of 2nd term. Students will be recognized during the awards ceremony in June.
- Semesterized classes (second semester): This award will be given to any student who has earned a 96% average for the class for the third term. Teachers will provide a list of awardees at the end of third term. Students will be recognized during the awards ceremony in June.
Presidential Service Award:
- This award will be given to those students who have earned a minimum of 50 volunteer hours in one year. These hours can be either student service learning, community service or a combination of both. Eligibility is determined by the WKMS Counseling Department.
- Students who represent Windsor Knolls and who place in county, state, national or world competitions will be recognized at the awards ceremony. (This can include, but is not limited to, Reading Rally, Science Fair, Hugh B. Nolan Track Meet, Destination Imagination, Visual Arts competitions, Stock Market Game and Math Counts).
- Students who earn a place on All-County Chorus and/or Band will be recognized at the awards ceremony.
- Students who earn other academic awards during the school year will be recognized at the awards ceremony. (This can include, but is not limited to, Most Improved Student, Veteran’s awards, Martin Luther King Award and the Presidential Academic Fitness Award.)
EIGHTH GRADE STUDENTS ARE ALSO ELIGIBLE FOR THESE AWARDS:
All As in Middle School
- This award will be given to eighth grade students who have earned all As through grade 6, grade 7 and the first three terms of grade 8 are eligible for this award. An A must have been earned in each term for each subject taken. Students must have been enrolled in WKMS at least one full school year to be eligible. Transfer students’ records are used to establish eligibility but only if they have attended WKMS for one full year. (Students/parents are given the opportunity to challenge the list of eligible students that is announced in 8th grade math classes. The guidance department reviews the records of any student issuing a challenge to determine eligibility for the award.
President’s Education Award:
- This award will be given to eighth grade students who earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher during their stay at Windsor Knolls. There is no minimum enrollment period for this award. Eligibility is determined through FCPS academic records.
- This award will be given to eighth grade students who have earned 25 hours of student service in middle school (the maximum that can be carried on to high school). Students will receive certificates during the awards ceremony.